Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_6_] Leon[_6_] is offline

Default Annoying glue and finishing.

"Steve Turner" wrote in message
On 1/24/2010 3:49 PM, Swingman wrote:
"masterful application" of _just the right amount_ of glue is
what separates the real men from the girly men. g,d&r

Yeah, I'll bet you're using Titebond III and since that **** ain't cheap
you're getting all frugal and efficient with the stuff (you know, like a
girly man) instead of slopping it on there and shootin' in some brads like
a real man.

Well there is that.. LOL...

Yeeeeears ago I never opened a glue bottle with out having a wet paper towel
handy. These days I always use an acid brush to spread the glue. IMHO
using the brush helps you learn quickly exactly how much glue is enough.
All you need is to totally coat the surface evenly and thin is fine as it
gets squeezed out pretty thin when you clamp the joint. Put too big of a
bead of glue down and the brush will help wipe off the excess. Put too
little and the brush will not cover the surface with glue. I very seldom
have much more than a trace of glue, if that, when clamping. Seriously
though if the entire surface has glue on it and you get no squeeze out, you
have used the correct amount.