Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus12856 Ignoramus12856 is offline

Default Cleaning up the shop

On 2010-01-24, Wes wrote:
F. George McDuffee wrote:

On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 00:47:34 -0600, Ignoramus27518
wrote:
snip
I thought that he could continue his insurance for 18 months based on
the COBRA law? For cancer, though, 18 months usually does not amount
to much.

snip
===========
It is one thing to have the opportunity to continue medical
coverage mandated by law. It is quite another to pay for it if
you are out of work.

Sadly, most people have forgot that you save for eventualities and not depend on someone
else to get you through.

Wes, I agree that saving money is essential for anyone, and people who
do not save, fully deserve a fair amount of trouble. I do personally
save a fair amount of my income.

So, a hypothetical guy who loses a job and does not even have money to
pay very reasonable COBRA rates, does not get too much of my sympathy,
personally.

Now what happens if someone has cancer, loses a job, pays for COBRA
for 18 months, and then his COBRA coverage ends? I do not think that
we can expect people to save enough to cover their cancer treatments
(which amount to big bucks).

I think that when such people, who worked, saved, and did their duty
otherwise, cannot afford to treat their cancer, and cannot get medical
coverage, it is an atrocity.