Posted to uk.d-i-y
NT[_2_] NT[_2_] is offline

Default Fibre washer rant

On Jan 24, 8:44*pm, "Roger Mills" wrote:
The Medway Handyman *wrote:

What is it with plumbers & fibre washers in tap connectors?

Its actually rare to find one. *Usual practice seems to be to wrap
loads of PTFE tape around the bottom of the connector & hope for the
best.
Helping my daughters bloke remove entire bathroom today prior to
refurb, not one single tap connector had a washer, all bodged with
PTFE.
Bearing in mind a bag of 100 is only £3 why don't people use them?

I've had quite a few that have gone soggy and/or crumbled over a period of
time - and then they leak!

One connector had failed due to the fibre washer. I made a few
attempts with a couple of new fibre washers, and got nowhere.
Substituted a rubber one and perfectly watertight first time.

NT