Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Best ideas for affordable draft/air leak detector

On Jan 23, 11:53*pm, blueman wrote:
I am trying to chase down drafts in my house and would like to get
advice on the best way to detect air leaks. I have seen the following
suggestions and/or products on the net and would like to get feedback
from real world experience:

So far, I have seen the following:
1. Packaged "smoke" -- watch the smoke below
2. Use a candle -- watch the flame blow
3. Build a contraption with a paper clip, an eye dropper, and some
* *plastic tubing - supposedly it amplifies the sound of an air leak but
* *the details of how to use it were sketchy
4. Suspend a 5"x10" strip of cellophane or plastic bag from a pencil and
* *watch it blow
5. Buy a B&D thermal detector (about $50) - but not sure if a device at
* *that price is any good and the more expensive pro devices are
* *probably not worth it for my limited use
6. Other ideas???

So, what do all you experts out there recommend based on your personal
and/or professional experiences?

Thanks

Best is a pro blower door test, I had one and it paid for itself in a
year or 2 id guess from all the hidden leaks I found, you get a
computer program printout of air exchanges per day, mine was 4x over
what was needed. A test is about 3-500, mine was free with a new
furnace. You can do one yourself with a powerfull fan sealed in an
opening then use smoke sticks to trace leaks, or a punk, those long
brown sticks you light fireworks with, but a pro will do it right.
There are energy audit services and your utility co may do it for you
or know who to call