Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default Upright wood bandsaw

On Jan 23, 3:22*pm, Wes wrote:
"Bob La Londe" wrote:
Any of you guys use one for cutting metal ... and admit to it?

They tend to go too fast. *Aluminum you can get away with. *I'm wondering how mine would
do with a 7/8" pitch 1 1/4 wide band. *I think I'll stick to wood though.
Wes

Bob, cutting steel at wood speed dulls the blade in seconds. When
someone did that I hid the good blades and left the dull one on until
I needed the saw, then I put the dull one back on afterwards. When
they complained I asked them what they needed to cut, often revealing
the perp. I couldn't stop them, they were engineers and I was only the
lab tech, but at least they had to sit through an explanation.

Wes, Suffolk Saw told me that those blades should run at 5000 feet per
minute. I think they said to set the guides about 1/8" outside the
straight line between the tires and use rollers on the inside only. I
did that, skate bearings in and generic Cool Blocks out, and it worked
fine.

jsw