Bob Gramza

Default Silly Question about Jigs - --

That makes the figs then.

"Swingman" wrote in message ...
: My bet is that in the machine shop, and in the machinist' world, the
: difference is probably more pronounced/important/politically correct than it
: is in woodworking.
:
: There is, at least semantically, a difference. To paraphrase, precisely, one
: of my old books: "A jig is a device used to maintain mechanically the
: correct positional relationship between a piece of work and the tool or
: between parts of work during assembly, and a fixture is a device for
: supporting work during machining."
:
: Then again, I/it could be all wet.
:
: --
: www.e-woodshop.net
: Last update: 9/21/03
:
: "MHaseltine" wrote in message
: Last Saturday I was at an auction and was looking at the tools which
: happened
: to be inside . Another person was also broswing. The owner had made a
: number
: of wodden jigs for his table saw ranging from a miter sled to a tennoning
: jig.
: Just to make conversation with the other person, I stated that the owner
: and
: been rather prolific and had a lot of jigs to go with the saw. The person
: gave
: me that knowing look and said "their fixtures - you need to be careful and
: not
: call fixtures jigs" Well, my response was I'm a bit of a newbie at his
: (which
: is true) but everything I have read and heard refers to these things as
: jigs -
: fixtures is a new way of naming these things"
:
: Well, my silly question is, "Are these jigs or fixtures?"
:
: Michael
:
: