Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John R. Carroll[_3_] John R. Carroll[_3_] is offline

Default Rethugs

Steve B wrote:
Bush and Cheney would be in jail by now.

But then, so would a high percentage of the US presidents in history.

Nixon, Reagan and Bush jr. for sure.
Ed Huntress and I had an extended conversation a while ago and his take was
that it it's just bad to put Presidents in jail for stuff they do in office.
He didn't really argue the merits, however. My point at the time was that
had Ford not Pardonned Nixon, Nixon might well have been tried and
convicted - thereby setting an example that his successors would have heeded
regarding the law.

In the end, I concluded that both arguments have merit but having tried the
former so often and gotten increasingly egrigious conduct, we ought to have
a stab at the latter.
I think.
Maybe.

--