Posted to alt.home.repair
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default OT The right thing to do

"Tony Hwang" wrote
Bill wrote:

I refuse to remove my shoes to go into someone's home. I will wait
outside
if I am picking someone up there or whatever. I would never ask anyone
visiting my home to remove their shoes. (And I would of course never
install
white carpet.)

Have fun Bill if you ever visit Japan!

You wear shoes in the house? Then what is the difference between your
floor and sidewalk? We wear slippers in the house and spares are available
for visitors. No one walks into my house wearing shoes!

Sensible to me but most folks in this group have never been to Asia. Thats
one thing I miss. I had this really nice built in shoe closet in my Cho in
Sasebo Japan. Inside I had our regular slippers, and 3 sets tied in pretty
ribbon for guests. I dont have space for that here but we still have a small
unit by the door, with guest slippers. Small sign above 'feel free to be
comfy'. Those used to this idea, find it charming to see in the USA. For
me, if i see a shoe holder by the door, I doff my shoes automatically and if
there is a stack of rubber bottomed socks or slippers that look new and just
for guests, don them while visiting. No words required ;-)