Posted to alt.home.repair
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default OT The right thing to do

"Stormin Mormon" wrote

The ones gang members wear?
Seriously, I prefer to pay $25 or less for my sneakers, but
then, I'm not interested in impressing anyone. Or looking
kewl.

I generally find cheaper ones too, but when I was still in the Navy and
needed to jog regular, there is a difference in a good set of running shoes
and cheap stuff. Also, we walk *alot* (up to 6 miles a day back in Japan)
and the 'cheap ones' are actually more expensive as they wear out too fast
under conditions like that. ROI factor low under heavy use.

Don now uses special orthopedic ones due to a combination of a long ago
broken ankle that never healed quite right, and arthritis. I got him a new
set 7 months ago for 200$. He walks about 4 miles a day now (plus regular
walking about the house etc) and I expect these will last about 2 years. A
25$ pair would simply not work for his needs and would last probably 2
months before the heels wore out.