Owain

Default Electric Shock with RCD

"Tim Mitchell" wrote
| The term RCD resulted from Which? and That's Life! suggesting
| that the industry adopt a common term, and it needed to be shorter
| than "Current Operated ELCB" which Joe Public wouldn't understand.

I've never really understood what RCD actually means. I know what they do
and how to use them, but Earth Leakage Circuit Breaker does exactly what it
says on the BS EN IP-rated enclosure.

| An interesting bit of history which I didn't know (Esther Rantzen's
| contribution to electrical engineering. Who would have thought it)

Well, she did play a major part in getting open-flued gas heaters (the
infamous Ascot water heaters, my parents always rather liked theirs when
they had one) banned in bathrooms because of the dangers of CO poisoning.

Owain