Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected][_2_] norminn@earthlink.net[_2_] is offline

Default OT The right thing to do

hr(bob) wrote:
On Jan 22, 6:53 pm, "Karen" wrote:
Greetings

This is a sensible group on Usenet, so I thought I'd ask here.

My daughter is paying her way through college by babysitting. She has 4
different families she baby-sits for regularly. She took on an assignment
for a new family through a referral. She normally doesn't take any new
assignments on, because the families she sits for, treat her very well.

The family has 2 children, and the parents are both doctors. They also have
a pet dog. Within 1 hour, my daughter noticed the dog had one of her less
than a week old sneakers in it's mouth, ripped to shreds.

She paid for these with her money, they ran her $75. The parents refuse to
pay for her sneakers, saying she should be responsible for her sneakers.
She left her shoes at the door, because they have a very nice new home.

I say the people should have warned her about the dog being a chewer, and
should take responsibility for their pet.

Needless to say, she learned a lesson the hard way.

What do you say?

I'm even more scared about the Doctor's children, wonder how they will
turn out when they grow up with that kind of example to follow?

One should not read too much into the situation, but the idea that
bothers me most is that the owner considers the sitter responsible for
the dog's behavior....what if the dog runs off or bites a child? Whew!
Run, don't walk.

Sounds like the daughter is very responsible. I always had new sitters
come over for an interview - casual - and just visit and get familiar.
Any concerns about the house, the children, what to do in emergency,
etc., were discussed beforehand. That included a dog that would take
any opportunity to run off if the door was opened...I and children
didn't always notice when someone came to the door that the darn dog was
right there, ready to flee )