Posted to alt.home.repair
benick[_2_] benick[_2_] is offline

Default How to stop entry door leaks?

"HerHusband" wrote in message
Oren,

As far as I can tell, the water comes in somewhere around the door
sill at the bottom. I'm not positive, but I think the water runs down
the sides of the door against the weatherstripping then along the
crack between the metal sill and the the wood jambs. I've tried
caulking these joints also, which has helped, but the water is still
getting in somewhere.

Caulking is best done when the door was/is installed, not as a fix
later on.
Exterior doors clean the sill, caulk along the jamb sides the width of
the threshold. Run two 1/2 inch beads of silly-caulk the length of the
threshold and set the door. Apply some foot pressure to seat (TH).

When I installed the doors I wrapped the wall felt into the door opening.
Then I applied flexible door/window flashing tape along the bottom of the
opening, extending it about 6" up the sides of the rough opening. Next, I
applied the flashing tape along the sides of the opening, and finally
along the top of the door. All layers overlapping in shingle fashion.

Before setting the door in place, I ran three beads of caulking along the
bottom of the rough opening, with a little extra along each side in the
corners. I also ran a bead around the outside of the opening, so the
brick moulding sealed against the sheathing when I fastened the door in
place. After installing the siding, another layer of caulk was applied
between the siding and brick moulding (top and sides).

I also caulked all seams on the exterior door trim, jambs, etc. EXCEPT
for the bottom of the door sill. This allows any water that might find
it's way in to have a way to get out. The gap is covered by lower trim,
so there's no way water can splash in from the outside. The beads of
caulking under the door sill ensure any water that does end up under the
door should go out and not into the building.

Once the door was fully installed, I also caulked along the inside of the
door sill, and about 12" up between the framing and door jamb on each
side. The larger gaps up higher were filled with minimally expanding
foam.

On the outside of the door, I caulked the seams on each side where the
metal sill meets the wood jambs.

Despite all my efforts, water is still coming in somewhere (showing up as
a small leak on the subfloor right in front of the door jamb, centered on
the door opening). At first I thought it was water dripping off the
bottom of the door when the door was opened, but my in-laws confirmed it
shows up even when the door has been closed all night.

In the future, I'm thinking of installing special sill flashing like
www.jambsill.com, but that's of little help with the current doors.

Anthony

Is the door closing TIGHT ??? I had that problem on 1 door out of the 4 I
installed and I moved the latch in a bit to hold the door closed tighter and
it is fine now...HTH....