Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B[_3_] Steve B[_3_] is offline

Default Leak Under Kitchen Sink

"Red Green" wrote in message
mcp6453 wrote in
:

On 1/22/2010 8:20 AM, dadiOH wrote:
mcp6453 wrote:
There was a small leak over a long period of time under my kitchen
sink. This past weekend, I went under the house for other reasons.
Out of curiosity, I looked at the floor underneath the sink. It is
all black from the leak. Presumably the black discoloration is mold
or mildew. The leak has been fixed. We sprayed bleach in all of the
areas we could reach to kill any mold.

The kitchen cabinet floors are not removable, as best as I can tell.
Is there an alternative to removing the cabinet and replacing the
subfloor? I'd have to hire someone to do it as that's beyond my
limited skill set.

Why do you want to replace the subfloor? Because it was black?
Don't bother.

Because I want to be able to sell the house? Seriously, is it
sufficient to just kill the mold/mildew and move on? Under no
circumstances do I want a health hazard for my family or for a
subsequent owner of the house, nor do I want to have to tear out the
kitchen if and when we decide to sell.

Because I want to be able to sell the house? Seriously, is it

Seriously, someday the place will be sold by you or whoever after you go
to the big duct tape factory in the sky. A home inspector will point it
out to the buyer, may say it appears to be inactive but the buyer should
get an opinion from a certified mold inspector. Buyer may try to put that
expense on the seller. My understanding is those are not just a couple of
hundred bucks but I really don't know firsthand.

The correct answer is: YES, NO, ABSOLUTELY, DEFINITELY, MAYBE, AND I DON'T
KNOW.

We cannot give you accurate advice because laws in your state (all bets off
in California) as to disclosure and mold remediation and such things may not
be accurate where YOU live. Consult a local expert, and go from there. You
can get an expert free opinion and inspection from a licensed contractor.
What's the downside to that?

If you DO sell, and there is mold remediation needed, you have a few ways to
go. One, don't say anything and hope they don't catch it; don't say
anything, and if they do catch it, they will rake you over the coals;
disclose it, and have them knock a chunk off the price; have it fixed now.

Get some local professional opinions. You'll get lots of free opinions here
and they are worth ten times the price. And they may end up costing you big
time.

Steve