Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected][_2_] norminn@earthlink.net[_2_] is offline

Default Leak Under Kitchen Sink

mcp6453 wrote:
On 1/22/2010 8:20 AM, dadiOH wrote:
mcp6453 wrote:
There was a small leak over a long period of time under my kitchen
sink. This past weekend, I went under the house for other reasons.
Out of curiosity, I looked at the floor underneath the sink. It is
all black from the leak. Presumably the black discoloration is mold
or mildew. The leak has been fixed. We sprayed bleach in all of the
areas we could reach to kill any mold.

The kitchen cabinet floors are not removable, as best as I can tell.
Is there an alternative to removing the cabinet and replacing the
subfloor? I'd have to hire someone to do it as that's beyond my
limited skill set.

Why do you want to replace the subfloor? Because it was black? Don't
bother.

Because I want to be able to sell the house? Seriously, is it sufficient to just
kill the mold/mildew and move on? Under no circumstances do I want a health
hazard for my family or for a subsequent owner of the house, nor do I want to
have to tear out the kitchen if and when we decide to sell.

Mildew has been around forever and spores are EVERYWHERE. It grows in
damp places. If you are worried, drill a couple of holes in the bottom
of the cabinet, spray in some 10% bleach/water and then forget about it.