Posted to rec.woodworking
Jim Hall[_4_] Jim Hall[_4_] is offline

Default Annoying glue and finishing.

On 1/22/2010 8:45 AM, SonomaProducts.com wrote:
Just do a wipe down with mineral spirits and it will show dry spots
where ever you have any glue. I do this as a matter of course when
doing my final sanding on any fine piece.

I do this also after final sanding.. I just put some on a paper towel
and go.. It seems to clean the surface better than a tack cloth and
will highlight any missed small dents/scratches/imperfections in the
wood as well as glue stains..

Unlike "Nom" who puts brads in everything and always wipes down his
squeeze out, I always let the squeeze out dry for a half an hour and
scrape it off. The other trick is to just pay special attention when
gluing to not get it on your hands, keep a damp rag tp keep your hands
clean and minimize the glue spots.

On Jan 21, 5:52 pm,
wrote:
Is it just with me or do you guys also 'find' glue on your projects
while applying the finish. Every single time. I end up having to
scrape areas and re-applying little areas. It doesn't effect the
finish quality because I usually 0000 steel wool everything and apply
several more coats, but man it's annoying. i know there is special UV
active glue that you can use, but I haven't bothered to try it.

Can't be just me.?.