Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Dacon[_4_] Tom Dacon[_4_] is offline

Default Upright wood bandsaw

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
Any of you guys use one for cutting metal ... and admit to it?

I've got one that has done a fantastic job for custom wood parts,
flooring, etc. I was wondering if it would be a stupid idea to pick up
some bi metal blades for some metal cutting that might be easier than some
other tools?

I guess my biggest concern might be driving metal particles into the
bicycle tire on the pulleys and messing them up.

OK, I'll admit to it. But not ferrous metals. I've cut bronze on a small
benchtop woodworking bandsaw, to trim 5/16 and 3/8 bronze carriage bolts to
specific and individual lengths, about a hundred of them. And yes, I used a
fine-tooth wood-cutting blade, for lack of anything else at hand. And went
through about three of them while I was doing it. But, you know what, it
worked out OK.

I was working down on the dock where the boat was, and I got it done a hell
of a lot faster than I would have if I'd used a hacksaw. And, yes, it took
me a while to get the wheel tires back in shape after the project was over.

No big surprises here. Sometimes the best tool for the job is the one you
have on hand. But I wouldn't do it with a shop saw.

Tom