Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Hey Bruce, ring wiring

Wes wrote:

Bruce,

The Brits use a scheme when a branch circuit starts and ends in a breaker panel. In other
words, you feed a branch loop from both ends. This has the effect of doubling the wiring
feeding a device.

I've wired my recepts with 12ga which sucks compared to 14ga. I asked my brother that is
in the trade why 14 is popular and he told me it is because it is way easier to terminate.
I belive him. My last garage improvement project wtih 52 year old fingers didn't like
working with 12 ga.

Somewhere I read that loop wiring is illegal. Do you know where that reference is in the
NEC? If I ever run another branch string, I'd be willing to run 14 out and back if it is
legal.

It's not legal in the US. If you get a loose connection somewhere in
the ring it isn't obvious until something catches fire.

Another difference is that 'ring circuits' are like small bus bars
and everything that gets plugged in is fused at the plug because the
ring is 30A @ 240 VAC. The British keep bragging about the concept on
some of the electronics groups.

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.