Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT-Scientists Admit GW blunders

John Husvar wrote:

During an abandon ship drill in WW2, my father related, the Marines were
being instructed how to jump from the deck and protect themselves from
debris in the water. One grizzled old Gunnery Sergeant seemed singularly
unimpressed and uninterested. The instructor berated him for his
inattention and asked him how he expected to survive having a ship shot
out from under him.

He replied: "I'll do just like I did twice last war. I'll wait 'til the
deck's awash and just step off."

That's ok if it sinks slow, and level. If it doesn't, you'll be
pulled under and you may drown. The bigger the hunk of steel, the better
the chance you won't make it.

My relatives who served in the Navy were mostly submariners, so their
chances were very poor if their sub got hit.

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.