Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_6_] Leon[_6_] is offline

Default Annoying glue and finishing.

"GarageWoodworks" wrote in message
Is it just with me or do you guys also 'find' glue on your projects
while applying the finish. Every single time. I end up having to
scrape areas and re-applying little areas. It doesn't effect the
finish quality because I usually 0000 steel wool everything and apply
several more coats, but man it's annoying. i know there is special UV
active glue that you can use, but I haven't bothered to try it.

Can't be just me.?.

Not just you! But as you gather more experience this becomes less of a
problem. You learn to look for possible problems that can lead to this and
you learn to take certain little precautions.

While it is better to apply too much glue than not enough for strength it
creates more work while cleaning up squeeze out.

One little thing I have learned to do is not wear long sleeve shirts during
glue up.....Often your sleeve can drag through wet glue and later smear
across something else...

I try to evenly spread glue with an acid brush to lay out a smoother and
more consistent layer of glue to minimize squeeze out which may get
transferred to other areas. Remember if you coat the entire surface with a
thin layer of glue you will not have glue starvation. Simply squirting out
a bead and letting the union spread the glue in the joint will/can lead to
squeeze out and glue starvation.

I try to always do a thorough sanding after glue up and keeping a close eye
on the results of the sanding as I go will show spots that may have gotten
glue one them unexpectedly.

Last, you can wipe the project down with mineral spirits which will
evaporate relatively quickly and will typically reveal the stray glue spots
they you see when finishing.