Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_6_] Leon[_6_] is offline

Default Workbench Project

"Bill" wrote in message
If you want to eat a steer, you have to cut him up in little pieces
first.

Same principle applies to building a bench top.

Say you want to build a 72" x 24" top using 2x8x10 ft stock.

1) Cross cut 8 pieces, 2x8x73 saving cutoffs for table leg
structure.

2) Rip 73 long board approximately in half, turn one piece end for
end and
gluing together with TiteBond II with factory edge down.

Lew,

As it turned out, I ended up with a 14" BS instead of a TS first.
A mobile stand is supposed to arrive in the mail tomorrow!
I've got too much unrelated work to do to put it together yet, but I can
still
plan. : ) It's still winter anyway...the glue would freeze before it
would set...

Is there much of a downside to using a bandsaw (rather than TS) to rip the
boards
for this project?

The down side would be cutting straight edges with a relatively short fence
and producing an edge ready for glue up.

I would assume a 1/2" blade. I was thinking it might
make it a bit more difficult to use braces to keep the boards flat as I
clamp them together
if I don't get "perfect" cuts. I may also need to rip off another 1/4" or
so if the boards have rounded edges.
On the other hand I was thinking that the band saw might be SAFER for
ripping
7 foot "2 by 8" stock. I would use a homemade fence (clamps and a board).

I should probably start by trying to build a small table for my planer, or
something,
to help minimize the cost of my learning.

For shop tables and what not the BS shoud work fine. Above I was refering
more to making furniture where mistakes are less desirable.

Also still thinking about putting some sort of boarder over the end grain
on the end of the bench.

Keep in mind that the width of wood changes with seasonal, temp, and
humidity changes. Attaching to the endgrain will commonly result in less
than desirable results long term. Take a look at "bread board ends" for a
solution to this problem. Google will be your friend!

If the top wasn't quite so thick I might consider tongue and groove. I
don't think I have learned
all of my options.

See above.