Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default The Future of US Kids Making Stuff...

On Jan 22, 2:02*am, "Michael A. Terrell"
* *I removed a lot of SMD ICs with solder wick. Clean most of the solder
off the pins, and use a very small tipped dental pick to see which leads
were loose. Then touch the ones that were, with a hot soldering iron and
lift them before the solder cools. I could pull a 288 pin IC in about a
minute, clean up the pads in about 30 seconds, and solder a new chip in
by hand in, in about 90 seconds without any solder bridges. It took
longer to clean the board than to change a chip.

Have you tried to teach that technique to others?

jsw