Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] stratus46@yahoo.com is offline

Default ghosts on digital OTA TV

On Jan 20, 2:31*am, "N_Cook" wrote:

So what you were seeing were fringes introduced in overdriven RF

stages or
harmonics/sub-harmonics/beats within the IFs or combinations

between

I would rather have ghosts instead of *"no signal" blank screen and

sound in
bad reception environment but unfortunately not an option these

days

Not how it works at all Nigel. Anything you're describing would
prevent proper demodulation of the data. With enough errors it would
fall off the 'cliff' and give no useful data. I don't doubt he saw
'ghosts' but they weren't RF multipath problems. I've been seeing a
bit more 'enhancement' artefacts on some HD signals which makes me a
little sad to see a good system get mis-used. OR, it may have been SD
material again 'enhanced' to cause the cartoon-like outlines. I have
seen some commercials that clearly (well, to me) came from a composite
source (likely a D2 machine) with decoding artefacts. Fortunately THAT
variety is fading away.