Posted to rec.woodworking
Garagewoodworks Garagewoodworks is offline

Default Annoying glue and finishing.

On Jan 21, 10:59*pm, "Tom Dacon" wrote:
"GarageWoodworks" wrote in message

Is it just with me or do you guys also 'find' glue on your projects
while applying the finish. *Every single time. *I end up having to
scrape areas and re-applying little areas. *It doesn't effect the
finish quality because I usually 0000 steel wool everything and apply
several more coats, but man it's annoying. *i know there is special UV
active glue that you can use, but I haven't bothered to try it.

Can't be just me.?.

I know that it's kind of time-consuming, but there are a couple of
techniques that help:

Pre-finishing the pieces helps a lot, even if it's not the full finish job.
The time-consuming part here is keeping the finish off the areas that will
get glued, and suggestion 2 helps there too. But just a thin coat or two on
the show faces can help to keep the glue from penetrating.

Even better is careful masking around the joints. The time you spend doing
this is well, well repaid by the ease of clean-up. Seems like a pain in the
ass, and sounds kind of anal-retentive, but you'd be surprised at how well
things come out if you do a careful job of it.

Tom

I usually prefinish and tape off ect., but in this case I couldn't.