Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Drilling through rocks

MiamiCuse wrote:

I have never drilled through rocks before and I am wondering how different
it will be compared to drilling through solid concrete. I suspect it may be
harder?

I have an exterior wall that is a 12" thick concrete block wall (8" block
with a layer of 4" block), and on the outside of this is a layer of
rock/stone face like this:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...ckfacewall.jpg

I want to add a hose bib on that wall. I have access from the inside and a
copper pipe is near by that I can split off and run a 1/2" copper pipe
there. I have a rotary hammer with concrete bits and I can chew through the
12" concrete block like butter, but I am not so sure about this rock...I
don't want to end up pushing a piece of rock completely out, and if I can
drill into it I don't know how clean the hole will be, will I end up
cracking it into two?

I don't have a spare piece of rock or I would try to drill it just to see.

Thanks in advance,

MC

Diamond core bit, with water, no hammer, drill from the outside in so
you don't knock the rock loose.