Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Dingley Andy Dingley is offline

Default Show Me Your TS Cross Cut Sled

On 17 Jan, 06:41, -MIKE- wrote:

So, show me yours.

Never use the things - too dangerous.

Mine (inspired by Kirby's "Accurate Table Saw" book) is a cross-cut
_box_, not a sled. This has tall walls front and back, so I can't get
my fingers any where near the nasty part. It's also stronger and more
rigid, as there's a tie-bar between them above the saw blade, which
also acts as a further guard. Yes, this does limit the height of what
I can fit into it, but then it's taller than the cut height anyway.

Using a box with walls and a tie bar above is also simpler to make
than a sled, as it makes it easier to connect the two side halves
together past the sawcut.

There's an enclosed box front and back to hide the saw blade, as it
emerges from the main cut area. There's an inch of spare wood here
too, just in case I slide it a bit too far.