Posted to alt.home.repair
JIMMIE JIMMIE is offline

Default Drilling through rocks

On Jan 21, 6:59*am, "dadiOH" wrote:
MiamiCuse wrote:
I have never drilled through rocks before and I am wondering how
different it will be compared to drilling through solid concrete. *I
suspect it may be harder?

I have an exterior wall that is a 12" thick concrete block wall (8"
block with a layer of 4" block), and on the outside of this is a
layer of rock/stone face like this:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...r/rockfacewall...

I want to add a hose bib on that wall. *I have access from the inside
and a copper pipe is near by that I can split off and run a 1/2"
copper pipe there. *I have a rotary hammer with concrete bits and I
can chew through the 12" concrete block like butter, but I am not so
sure about this rock...I don't want to end up pushing a piece of rock
completely out, and if I can drill into it I don't know how clean the
hole will be, will I end up cracking it into two?

When rock is quarried, *they...

1. drill hole(s)

2. insert dynamite in hole(s)

Don't do #2.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
Get it athttp://mysite.verizon.net/xico

Be prepared for the rock coming off the wall. That's what happened the
only time I have done this. My friend and I were drilling a hole
through the wall into his basement with a hammer drill. It wasnt such
a big deal, we epoxied it back in place.

Jimmie