Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] pentagrid@yahoo.com is offline

Default Old 230/440 motor and VFD

On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 16:57:41 -0600, Ignoramus29895

On 2010-01-20, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus29895 wrote:

Given your ability to find a deal, is there any reason you can't come up with a rpc? I'm
running mine on a Rotophase my uncle found in a dumpster at a oil location he maintained
portapotties at. A motor, a few caps, you are good go to.

I already have a phase converter, but I was hoping I would not need to
use it for the lathe. I have a pile of variable frequency drives, some
are in a bad cosmetic shape (hard to sell) that are quite usable.

I don't know enough about VFD's in your application to help you.

It would seem that a motor that is 230/460 which I belive yours in could handle whatever
extra strain a vfd would put on it.

I don't know but would adding some load side capacitance mellow out how your motor reacts?
I'm hoping our EE's on the list have comments on that one.

I am pretty sure that you cannot put capacitors on the output of a
VFD.

Actually right now, the lathe is on a Phase-A-Matic static phase
converter. The Phase-A-Matic came with the lathe. It runs, but I am
getting only 2 HP out of 3. Maybe I should just leave it as is. I
would not be likely to use all of the HP without coolant.

I want to do the right thing, and it is not immediately obvious what
is the right thing. I know for sure that I do not need to vary input
frequency.

It seems that the phase converter route is nicest to the motor, and
lathe, but is less convenient for me.

There's now way of being sure but the odds are pretty good.

VFDs increase the peak voltage stresses on the motor insulation,
Most older motors survive (all that I have used) but a few fail.
Capacitors do NOT help.

The yard stick I would use is simply based on the mechanics
of the motor installation. If it's difficult or impossible to
replace it with a modern motor then it makes sense to stick with
an RPC.

If on the other hand it's a fairly standard motor that
could be replaced if disaster struck I would chose the VFD drive
on the basis that the increased convenience outweighs the small
increase in risk.

Jim