Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Charging Lithium batteries

On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 17:17:52 +0000, Rod wrote:

And I have a torch that can use anything from 1.2 to 4.5 volts (or
something like that). Can run on rechargeable or primary cells,
alkaline, NiMH or Lithium - so long as they are AA size.

I haven't looked at all the torches in your link but only one of
those I looked at will work over that range and the light output is
only quoted for 14500 battery...

Looking at the batteries themselves they all have less than 1000mAHr
capacity. The new hybrid Ni-MH batteries are around 2000mAhr and will
charge in a normal Ni-MH charger and have a long shelf life. The easy
way to tell the hybrid Ni-MH batteries is that they are rechargeble
batteries come ready to use, no need to charge before use.

I'd also be a bit cagey about having physically indentical batteries
with such a large difference in terminal voltages. Far too easy to
fit a set into something designed for a nominal 1.5v/cell and let the
magic smoke out.

--
Cheers
Dave.