Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B[_3_] Steve B[_3_] is offline

Default Drilling through rocks

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
I have never drilled through rocks before and I am wondering how different
it will be compared to drilling through solid concrete. I suspect it may
be harder?

I have an exterior wall that is a 12" thick concrete block wall (8" block
with a layer of 4" block), and on the outside of this is a layer of
rock/stone face like this:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...ckfacewall.jpg

I want to add a hose bib on that wall. I have access from the inside and
a copper pipe is near by that I can split off and run a 1/2" copper pipe
there. I have a rotary hammer with concrete bits and I can chew through
the 12" concrete block like butter, but I am not so sure about this
rock...I don't want to end up pushing a piece of rock completely out, and
if I can drill into it I don't know how clean the hole will be, will I end
up cracking it into two?

I don't have a spare piece of rock or I would try to drill it just to see.

Thanks in advance,

MC

I would be interested in this answer, also. I want to make a rock feature
on a rebar skeleton, and I was wondering about drilling half way through the
rocks to mount them on the skeleton's fingers. Wondering if the Makita
roto-hammer I have would drill a hole or crack the rock. I have tons of
rock I would like to get rid of if you would like some. They grow here.
Every time you think you got them cleared, more pop out of the soil.

Steve