Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default First Caulking a Mess

mcp6453 wrote:
On 1/20/2010 1:50 PM, Oren wrote:
On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 15:52:38 +0000 (UTC), "badgolferman"
wrote:

I have had better results using a damp sponge than a wet finger. The
sponge soaks up excess caulk better than my finger can and conforms to
angles better. Experiment with moisture level of sponge and wash it
out often.

Exactly! I use tile (sea) sponges from the tile section - the orange
ones (4X6X2?) Keep fresh clean water and rinse often.

I still haven't finished the job. I lost my enthusiasm. Hopefully I can get back
in the mood soon so that I can get the bathroom back in service.

Persevere. It took me 4-5 do-overs before I got the recaulk of my tub to
stick more than a couple of weeks. (After 4 years, I couldn't stand
looking at that hideous press-on caulk thing previous owner had
installed any more, with mold growing out of every crevice a week after
soaking it in bleach...). Lesson learned- a reseal of the grout on the
wall, about a day after the caulk job, helps keep water from getting
behind it and making it fall off. And I got the best looking bead using
one of those caulk tools that looks like a square rubber rod cut off at
an angle, with as tiny a bead as I could get from the toothpaste-tube
style bathtub caulk from the borg.

Glad I have a second 3/4 bath, so I could let the main one dry a day
before applying the caulk, and 3-4 days to cure after.

--
aem sends...