Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Taper pin vs split pin

On Jan 20, 5:48*pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:

A taper pin should not be used to hold things together, without some kind of
clamping or other locating to hold them in place. A screw tapped alongside
of the head of the taper pin, with the screw head overlapping the edge of
the pin, is one way to accomplish this. In much tool work, the pins are not
subject to strong shear loads so they may hold without a clamp. But they can
slip out of their holes without a clamp.

Ed Huntress

Morse tapers are designed to release. Jacobs tapers have less taper
and are designed to hold but can be released. I believe that taper
pins are designed to be harder to release than Jacobs tapers.
Standard taper pins have a taper of 1/4 inch per foot.

In my previous post, I mentioned taper pins with a threaded section on
the small end. My mistake. They do not exist. There are taper pins
with a threaded section on the big end so a nut can be used to pull
the pin. Sorry about that.

Dan