Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Using a rotary table to cut an approximate ellipse?

On Jan 20, 7:27*am, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:
"Karl Townsend" wrote in message

anews.com...

If you tilt the blank up at an angle a long vertical endmill will cut
a mathematically correct ellipse. The major axis ends will be beveled
so the thinner the stock the better it works.

Glad I got a CNC so I just put in the Gcode and cut.

"I THINK" if you also tilted the head, the above suggestion would give you
an elipse with square sides.

Karl

P.S. You'll have to raise/lower quill as you rotate to keep tool at same
depth.

If you mounted a tilt table on the rotary table, you could tilt the
head so one major axis end was square. After milling half the elipse,
you could tilt the tilt table the other way by the same amount. This
would make the other major axis end square and eliminate having to
raise/lower the quill.

Dan