Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Moving front door back 1/4"

DGDevin wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message

Piece o' cake...

Wood match sticks (w/ any carpenters' glue optional). Taper a couple a
little and drive enough in to fill the holes solid. Will prevent the hole
from collapsing...

The alternative is to try to make a single tapered plug but that's tougher
to shape than simply drive in the smaller pieces one at a time.

When I've done that I've drilled out the screw holes and glued in a piece of
hardwood dowel to make darn sure the weight of the door wasn't going to
cause problems. I'd rather take a few minutes to do that than rely on some
matchsticks.

Waste of time. The end grain of the dowel isn't any better than the end
grain of the matchsticks if you fill the hole solid. It's the same fix
only more time consuming and (in this case) making the patch onto the
area the new hole will be instead of besides it.

The only thing that's better would be to cut in another piece w/
matching grain direction which is again, more effort than the extra gain.