Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington David Billington is offline

Default Taper pin vs split pin

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
A taper pin is so much more work to use - is it that much better than
a split pin (aka spring pin)? Or, putting it another way, in what
circumstances would a split/spring pin be inadequate and a taper pin
be required?

Thanks,
Bob

I think this has been covered before but again brings up the different
nomenclature in different parts of the world. In the UK I think I know
what a taper pin is but what are you referring to as a split pin (spring
pin), see http://www.ondrives.com/mechanical-d...ring-pins.html ,
they mention slotted and coiled spring pins (often referred to as spiral
pins here IIRC). I suspect it makes a difference. I've seen the slotted
spring pins fail but not the coiled, yet!. Taper cotters used on many
bikes with steel cranks in the US IIRC and the likes of MG midget
kingpin to lower trunnion, but they are cylindrical with a tapered flat.

British born, but lived in the US for 12 years, I'm glad I had UK
parents so made adapting back to the UK easy. Confusing for some in the
US though as some language differences are notable. Confused one of my
English teachers no end for a short while as I pronounced "schedule" the
English way.