Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_2_] Wes[_2_] is offline

Default Old 230/440 motor and VFD

Ignoramus29895 wrote:

Given your ability to find a deal, is there any reason you can't come up with a rpc? I'm
running mine on a Rotophase my uncle found in a dumpster at a oil location he maintained
portapotties at. A motor, a few caps, you are good go to.

I already have a phase converter, but I was hoping I would not need to
use it for the lathe. I have a pile of variable frequency drives, some
are in a bad cosmetic shape (hard to sell) that are quite usable.

I don't know enough about VFD's in your application to help you.

It would seem that a motor that is 230/460 which I belive yours in could handle whatever
extra strain a vfd would put on it.

I don't know but would adding some load side capacitance mellow out how your motor reacts?
I'm hoping our EE's on the list have comments on that one.

Wes

in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller