Andrew Barss

Default OT? can drywall be used in place of suspended ceiling tiles?

Michael S. wrote:
: Sorry, but could not locate a ng about remodeling. I am going to create a
: home theater room in the basement and due to the subwoofage, regular 2x2 ft.
: suspended ceiling tile will vibrate and needs to be topped with random
: pieces of drywall. As a money-saving shortcut, would it be possible to cut
: 2x2 ft. pieces of half inch drywall and use in the place of ceiling tile in
: a suspended ceiling?? TIA

To soundproof a wall or ceiling, either use Homosote (a sound-deadening
panel), or hang drywall with a metal strip whose name I can't recall.
Both will basically isolate your room from the other rooms it shares
joists with.

- Andy Barss