Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus29895 Ignoramus29895 is offline

Default PICTURES of Clausing 6913 lathe, now in my garage

On 2010-01-20, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus8727 wrote:

Check the various bearing houses. Thats way too much money.

I have not found anything cheaper.

The belt length and angle is odd. Clausing is the only source I've been able to find.

Supposedly, a belt that could fit, is 2528V370, and the lowest price I
could find online, is $92 plus shipping. It is not a popular size like
those starting with 1922, so it is pricey.

By the way... The old belt that I have, is in a bad shape, with the
outer layer separating from the inner layer. Coincidentally, the VS
drive makes a lot of noise. It sounds like a tractor falling down a
steep embankment. Am I correct thinking that this is caused by this
old belt and would likely be fixed by replacing the belt?

The drive is fairly loud even when things are working fine. Are you hearing a repeating
sound, you know, does it have a periodic beat? If the back gear and high range pin are
both engaged at any time, the spindle will lock and the orignal owner may have burned a
few spots in the belt. That wouldn't sound good either.

The current belt has many defects, outer layer delaminating, one piece
shewed out, etc

If you take the v belt off and disconnect the hydralic hose you
should be able to spread the motor sheaves. See if you can rock
them relative to each other. Can you see a green coating on the
sheave shaft that goes into the delrin bushing?

I will definitely check that, and take pictures, when I replace the
belt.

I am optimistic that this is a belt issue.

The pulleys also have rust in the areas where the belt did not touch
it. I think that the lathe spent a very long time with the VS drive
"not working". So they never went through the normal range for the
belt. I think that I should clean it, it probably would be abrasive to
the belt.