Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus29895 Ignoramus29895 is offline

Default PICTURES of Clausing 6913 lathe, now in my garage

On 2010-01-20, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus29895 wrote:

I have very good news about the variable speed drive. Yesterday I
mentioned that it would not switch any speeds and the handle would
just spring back.

I received great instructions from members of practical machinist and
clausing_lathe_and_mill, and was able to bleed air from the lines and
replace it with oil (Mobil DTE 24). The VS speed indicator dial was
also in a wrong position. The dial just needed turning. Now I have the
full speed range, and the "springiness" exists only in the first 100
RPM, between 300 and 400 I do not have any control. I can live with
that. Maybe I need to crack the lines to get rid of that.

Yeah, you still likely have some air though I wonder how wide your
belt is relative to a new one?

No idea, but I will hopefully get new belt tomorrow. Replacing the
belt would be a weekend project.

Continued cleaning it, and now it looks merely dirty instead of
disgusting.

I thought the paint on mine looked bad. You get rid of that ugly
orange rust and get it back to a browned apearance like a
muzzleloader and it will look a whole lot better.

I will first clean it to some basic OK appearance, and if the lathe
proves good in other respects, then I will try to fully clean and
repaint it.

Opened up the screw drive gearbox, everything looks very good.

Don't forget oil in the apron.

Yes. I will take apart the carriage assembly to see if there are any
chips embedded underneath. I will also replace cross feed nut and
clean the taper attachment, which is unbelievably dirty and needs
disassembly.

Just ordered a few parts from Clausing, such as Vee belt, way wipers,
spindle taper adaptor, cross feed nut (I was wrong about play in the
cross feed). Life is good.

How much were the way wipers? I need to replace mine?

I believe something like $12 or 14 per set of six. I ordered two sets
to have just in case.