Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] stans4@prolynx.com is offline

Default What kind of metal in a food strainer?

On Jan 20, 8:20*am, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
I had a bunch of crud in my muriatic de-rust bucket & I strained it
through a (old) kitchen strainer. *You know, the woven-wire basket with
a handle kind.

I thought it was made with SS wire, but I got a very vigorous reaction
with the acid. *WTF! *I know the wire isn't aluminum, it couldn't be
zinc (food contact), what is it? *Tin? *Does tin react with HCl? *Would
they make strainers with pure tin, not tin coated steel? *If so,
wouldn't SS be cheaper (I found tin ingots on the web for $12/lb)?

Puzzled,
Bob

Yup, makes stannous choride. See if a magnet sticks. Most food-grade
stainless items are the non-magetic sort. And the iron underneath the
tin will react with the hydrochloric acid pretty quickly, too. Sounds
like you'll need a new strainer. The tin coating was in the
fractional mil range, if the item isn't too old, can make a whole lot
of coated wire per pound at that sort of thickness.

Stan