Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default samsung tv s51a chassis - smps problem, advice ?

"b"

This Tv came to me with the fuse blown and the KA3S1265 chip missing.

I replaced the ic, but have not yet plugged in. Basically , doing a
few double-checks I saw that I have a dead short on the output of the
bridge rectifier.

** You have used an insulator between the new chip and its heatsink ??

The KA3S1265 comes in metal tab TO3P-5 and fully coated versions.

You just hit the nail on the head Phil! Wish you'd posted that an hour
or so earlier!
After more head scratching, I remembered that when I went to buy the
IC (several months ago now) the TO3PF- 5L wasn't available at my local
dealer and I got the TO3P-5L.
After I checked that cap you said, I took another look at that IC I'd
installed back then. I had fitted mica insulation but the tensioning
screw arrangement I had used to fit it to the heatsink was in slight
contact with the IC's top metal edge .After releasing it I tested
again with the multimeter and hey presto - short gone. I isolated the
whole heatsink from the chassis for good measure and the set came on
OK. D'oh...

** Often, the hardest faults of all for any service tech to find are the
ones HE puts there himself - by accident.

..... Phil