Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default samsung tv s51a chassis - smps problem, advice ?

"b"

extract from schematic:
http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/6/...20extract.jpeg

This Tv came to me with the fuse blown and the KA3S1265 chip missing.

I replaced the ic, but have not yet plugged in. Basically , doing a
few double-checks I saw that I have a dead short on the output of the
bridge rectifier. I have removed the rectifier, c805 and c806 with no
difference. So I'm now suspecting the smps transformer, as it is the
only thing 'in-cct'.

** What about C807 ??

That is one highly stressed poly cap.

Does this sound reasonable? I've occasionally had these transformers
cause problems before in other Tvs, but haven't worked on many
samsungs. Any thoughts welcome.

** Insulation failure between layers is possible - but you may have to
remove the tranny ( or cut some tracks) from the PCB to prove the fact.

...... Phil