Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus8727 Ignoramus8727 is offline

Default PICTURES of Clausing 6913 lathe, now in my garage

On 2010-01-19, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus8727 wrote:

Bleeding shouldn't take long if your system is intact.

Here is a sorta exploded picture of mine.

http://www.garage-machinist.com/usenet/rcm/master.jpg

The white circle is a gasket stuck to the master cylinder body. It is a bleed point.
Threre should be a screw in it right now on yours.

I think that my cylinder is different and there is no such thing on
mine. Maybe I am wrong.

You are right.
http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Clau...-0013.jpg.html

That master cylinder looks different.

Yes, indeed. My lathe was made on Dec 21, 1966.

OB
OK... But mine might leak too, after all, how come it is full of air
in the lines. We'll see.

Likely you have seals that have hardened up. McMaster has them.
Should be easy stuff to repair. Take pictures as you pull it apart
but you know that.

I will try first to bleed air from the lines and I will then see how
quickly they leak. If they leak too much, new seals will be the way to
go.

Those handles sticking out at 180 degrees on your compound are going
to be irritating. I tried to unscrew one of mine but it would not
let go. I was about to cut it off but I relented for now.

I agree 100%, they are very annoying. Most likely designed for fine
operations, like where 0.001 really matters.

As to derusting, a bit of oil a green scotchbrite pad (red if you
want to be more aggressive) and it should clean up pretty nice.

I have made some progress yesterday. I have already cleaned the ways,
which had essentially no rust on them. I will try to take some
pictures.

The taper attachment is so clogged with crud, it needs complete
disassembly. I will try to get it to work with VS today, and will
continue cleaning day after day.

Check oil levels in headstock, QC gearbox, and apron. You will need
a pump oiler to oil the carriage via the ball oilers. I couldn't
get one that fit so I ground down the end of the oil nozzle until I
got a good fit.

Good point. I forgot completely.

Not sure of belt wear, you don't want the varidrive belt to drop
down and rub on the green coating on your varidrive.

The belt is not in a good condition. The outer layer is separating
from the inner layer. Looks like the belt I need is 2528V370 and it
costs appx. $92.

Oh yes, check the felts when you get time.

It needs new felts. I have a felt pad to cut out replacements.

I'm envious about that taper attachment.

I sure hope this turns out to be a good deal for you. I have my fingers crossed.

Thank you. Clearly it needs a good amount of love and attention. But
it may have a fatal flaw.