Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_2_] Wes[_2_] is offline

Default PICTURES of Clausing 6913 lathe, now in my garage

Ignoramus8727 wrote:

Bleeding shouldn't take long if your system is intact.

Here is a sorta exploded picture of mine.

http://www.garage-machinist.com/usenet/rcm/master.jpg

The white circle is a gasket stuck to the master cylinder body. It is a bleed point.
Threre should be a screw in it right now on yours.

I think that my cylinder is different and there is no such thing on
mine. Maybe I am wrong.

You are right.
http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Clau...-0013.jpg.html

That master cylinder looks different.

If you look to the left of the aluminum piston with a lip seal, you
will see a pin protruding. When you run the varidrive handwheel in
the non presurising direction, that pin opens a passage in the
piston.

Makes sense.

As to why the twin piston system is better. Well, there are a lot of leak points in mine.
See below.
http://www.garage-machinist.com/usenet/rcm/slave1.jpg
http://www.garage-machinist.com/usenet/rcm/slave2.jpg
http://www.garage-machinist.com/usenet/rcm/slave3.jpg

Wes

OK... But mine might leak too, after all, how come it is full of air
in the lines. We'll see.

Likely you have seals that have hardened up. McMaster has them. Should be easy stuff to
repair. Take pictures as you pull it apart but you know that.

Those handles sticking out at 180 degrees on your compound are going to be irritating. I
tried to unscrew one of mine but it would not let go. I was about to cut it off but I
relented for now.

As to derusting, a bit of oil a green scotchbrite pad (red if you want to be more
aggressive) and it should clean up pretty nice.

Check oil levels in headstock, QC gearbox, and apron. You will need a pump oiler to oil
the carriage via the ball oilers. I couldn't get one that fit so I ground down the end of
the oil nozzle until I got a good fit.

Not sure of belt wear, you don't want the varidrive belt to drop down and rub on the green
coating on your varidrive.

Oh yes, check the felts when you get time.

I'm envious about that taper attachment.

I sure hope this turns out to be a good deal for you. I have my fingers crossed.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller