Posted to uk.d-i-y
Richard Russell Richard Russell is offline

Default TV Licence

On 19 Jan, 13:38, terry wrote:
TV license (to allow one to receive the BBC?), sounds like colossal
waste of time and effort.

Hmm, considering that my entire career was spent working for the BBC
(more than 32 years) and that my occupational pension comes,
indirectly, from the licence fee I'm not likely to agree with that! I
wonder how different the TV industry (world wide) might be now if it
wasn't for the technological innovation of BBC engineers over the past
60 years or so. I think you'll find that very few commercial TV
stations (funded by advertising) have significant technical R&D
budgets.

I was interested to see, in next week's Radio Times, a nice picture of
ITN's 'green screen' virtual news studio (pages 6 & 7 for those who
get RT). If you look very carefully, you can see some of the bar-
coded circular targets in the studio ceiling used for the virtual
studio wizardry. That system (it's called Free-D) was invented and
developed by the BBC!

Richard.
http://www.rtrussell.co.uk/