Posted to uk.d-i-y
terry terry is offline

Default TV Licence

On Jan 18, 3:49*pm, Richard Russell wrote:
On 18 Jan, 14:03, Piers Finlayson wrote:

http://www.bbctvlicence.com/Detector%20vans.htm

Some interesting stuff there; none of it contradicts my own
information. *Presumably should TVLA decide that they wish to use
evidence from a detector van in court, they could then reveal details
of its workings, calibration certificates etc. *So (as a non-expert) I
don't see that not revealing that information beforehand means a case
couldn't be brought.

Richard.http://www.rtrussell.co.uk/

TV license (to allow one to receive the BBC?), sounds like colossal
waste of time and effort. Rather like the 7/6d 'wireless' licence my
dad used to buy at the Post Office back in the 1930s and 40s.

If in UK I would probably forget about TV and get my video news via
the internet, all kinds of stuff available in various degrees of
quality, as I do now. Al Jazeera, Russia TV in English, in addition to
the BBC, the many US networks etc. etc.

However 'BBC World News' available as one channel of the approx. 60+
channels on our local analog cable sytem, is excellent content and
quality. That 'basic' cable TV costs about $1 per channel per month.
Most of them being 'cra*' and not worth viewing. But the channels
available come in packages and in order to get the History, Discovery,
BBC and others one has to take them.

Alternatives (competition) here are two satellite (digital) systems
and also in certain areas so far, digital TV via the telephone company
along with their offering of the internet. So a fair number of
choices.

The only 'from air' TV in this neck of the woods, most easterly
Canada, are a couple of analog TV channels, the CBC and one private
network. Stil have the TV antenna in the attic, but don't now use it.
This is understandable because the total population of this area some
1200 miles from Toronto etc. is less than a quarter million persons
with a total population in this province, with an area that of England
plus Wales, of just over half a million!