Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
Kevin McMurtrie[_3_] Kevin McMurtrie[_3_] is offline

Default LED Instrument Panel V2.0

In article ,
flipper wrote:

[snip]
The LED most certainly does see the average in power dissipation. You
could, for example, pulse higher currents through the LED as long as
the duty cycle meets the power dissipation curves.

That's only true of LEDs designed for pulsing. (Some laser diodes
operate from 30 Amp 100 ns pulses.)

Illumination LEDs may or may not be able to use current pulses higher
than the normal current rating. A lot of them will perform poorly or
physically degrade beyond 100%, even if the duty cycle is too low to
cause heating. The pulses should be smoothed to a constant current
where efficiency matters. Phosphor LEDs may require pulses at a
specific current when constant color quality matters.