Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington David Billington is offline

Default Yesterday in the shop

Wes wrote:
David Billington wrote:

Wes wrote:

Yesterday was good. Worked on a nose protector for my lathe.

Time well spent. I did much the same some years ago for the L00 fitting
on my older lathe when I was making a mount for metal spinning mandrels,
I made it in steel though which made cutting the keyway more interesting
with a tool in the toolholder and moving the carriage. Worked well
though and has a 1" x 8TPI thread in the face to mount the mandrels on.

Did your tool have any rake?

Yes IIRC, just like any other to make the cutting easier.

What kind of things do you spin? Bells for musical instruments?

Tankards, soffieta (a glass blowing tool) I have a website
http:/www.metal-arts.co.uk , it's really hobby stuff although I do make
items for people when asked if I have the time, actually many items
shown on the site are items I've been asked to do. I have spun one item
like a trumpet horn, it was the top to a lamp, but the same shape. Brass
is a PITA as it work hardens rapidly so you spend maybe 90% of the time
annealing it as opposed to spinning with a shape like that from flat
sheet. I only made the one and it came out right first time so I was
being cautious and having a good day.

I wonder if you need the keyway anyway, as it's only a protector can you
not just relieve the inside taper to clear the key. From the L fitting
drawing it looks like you have some room on the taper before and after
the key to support the protector or are you looking to do a "proper job"
for the challenge of it.

I could run a long endmill down to relieve it as you suggest. However, I've always wanted
to try cutting a keyway with a lathe. After all, it is for my entertainment.

With mine in steel removing as much as possible with an endmill made
life much easier, I would be inclined to do the same for aluminium, or
even aluminum, as even though your lathe is a similar size it's not
really the tool for the job and gets tiresome quickly.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers,

Dave

Wes