Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_2_] Wes[_2_] is offline

Default Yesterday in the shop

David Billington wrote:

Wes wrote:
Yesterday was good. Worked on a nose protector for my lathe.

Time well spent. I did much the same some years ago for the L00 fitting
on my older lathe when I was making a mount for metal spinning mandrels,
I made it in steel though which made cutting the keyway more interesting
with a tool in the toolholder and moving the carriage. Worked well
though and has a 1" x 8TPI thread in the face to mount the mandrels on.

Did your tool have any rake?

What kind of things do you spin? Bells for musical instruments?

I wonder if you need the keyway anyway, as it's only a protector can you
not just relieve the inside taper to clear the key. From the L fitting
drawing it looks like you have some room on the taper before and after
the key to support the protector or are you looking to do a "proper job"
for the challenge of it.

I could run a long endmill down to relieve it as you suggest. However, I've always wanted
to try cutting a keyway with a lathe. After all, it is for my entertainment.

Wes