Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default SS shims

"Wayne" wrote in message
I need to make some donut shaped shims.
Thinnest is .012, largest .015.
One shim has a 10 mm I.D. and 17.5 mm O.D.
The other 15 mm I.D. and 33.5 mm O.D.
I only need a few of each.
Last ones I made where from brass. I sandwiched the
sheet between 2 boards and drilled the center hole.
Then I used snips for the O.D. They were not pretty,
but functional.

I'd like to make some out of SS this time, for more
durability and rust resistance. I haven't worked with SS.

McMaster has type 302 in an assortment pack.
I have no punches and would be too expensive for a couple shims.
Got a mill and lathe.
What's a good way to put the hole in and cut the OD in a
way that would look decent?

Wayne D.

Epoxy it to a sacrificial block, machine to size and shape, remove from
block with heat.