Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Waterproof finish for rosewood veneer countertop

On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 10:22:35 -0800 (PST), the infamous RicodJour
scrawled the following:

On Jan 17, 1:07*pm, Larry Blanchard wrote:
In article df8616d1-7e2e-403c-a6d7-297b7375e551
@t12g2000vbk.googlegroups.com, says...

Now...spar varnish? (She thinks that would be too shiny) I will want to
spray it, so my (up to) 2.0 tip will handle thick stuff.

Rub down the spar varnish with some 600 wet/dry or pumice to knock
down the shine.

That was going to be my suggestion, but I'd use Behlens table top
varnish instead of spar. *Spar is too soft.

I've never used the Behlens, but I'd heard it was more difficult to
recoat/repair as the stuff was difficult to sand out smooth. Spar
varnish is definitely softer, but it is easy to repair. In any event,
those "vessel on counter" sink things are an abomination.

Spar it. It'll fit right in. evil grinne

--
The greatest fine art of the future will be the making
of a comfortable living from a small piece of land.